STORY Ski Resorts in Hokkaido, Nagano, and Niigata for All Levels of Skiers and Snowboarders! by JNTO on 31 October 2019
Japan’s winter reminds you of snow. Ski resorts in Japan usually open in late October and accommodate skiers and snowboarders from all over the world during the peak season in November and December. This time, we are going to look at some world-famous ski resorts in Hokkaido, Nagano, and Niigata which are great for skiers and snowboarders at all ages and level!
The Hotspot for Powder Snow - Niseko (Hokkaido)
Niseko is world famous as a “powder snow paradise” for skiers, snowboarders, and many other activities that never fail to amaze its visitors.
Niseko Village Ski Resort
“Niseko Village Ski Resort” is known as the paradise of powder snow with striking views of Mt. Yotei. In this wonderful ski resort, visitors can enjoy winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, snowmobile riding, snow trekking, etc. And, the resort is not only famous for these adventurous activities! Never miss the intergraded entertainment facilities in the “shopping and dining area” if you are nearby- highly anticipated restaurants and shops serving Hokkaido’s fresh vegetables and seafood, open-air hot spring and spa are also available. It would definitely be an unforgettable powder-snow experience of yours!
- Niseko Village Ski Resort
- Address: Higashiyama Onsen, Niseko-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- Access: 10-minute taxi from Niseko station (where Hakodate main line runs),or direct access bus/shuttle bus services provided by a number of bus companies, such as Chuo Bus, White Liner, Hokkaido Resort Liner, from Shin-Chitose Airport
Niseko Hanazono Resort
“Niseko Hanazono Resort” offers enjoyable powder snow tours on snowmobile and snow trekking- what about a visit to the hidden spots in Niseko and experience the famous powder snow under the guidance of veteran tour guides?
The spot is also family-friendly for areas like its children’s playground and the “Hanazono tube park” for snow play!
- Niseko Hanazono Resort
- Address: 328-15 Owaobetsu, Butagunkucchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- Access: Direct access by taxi or Niseko United Shuttle bus at Kutchan station (where the JR Hakodate main line runs). Or, take airport shuttle bus at Shin Chitose airport (by reservation) and get off at Hirafu Welcome Center, then change to the free shuttle to the resort.
Ryuoo Ski Park (Nagano)
Providing a series of nice skiing and snowboarding fields in ascending difficulties from the powder zone, flat zone, to wide zone for beginners to advanced skiers and snowboarders. There are also snow sled and tubing tours in its adventure park. You will be touched by the magnificient view of the snowy Alps mountain when you are aboard its world’s largest ropeway cabin (accommodating as many as 166 passengers) called “SORA Terrace”.
- Ryuoo Ski Park
- Address: 11700, Yomase, Yamanouchi-machi, Shimotakai-gun, Nagano
- Access: Take Nagano Electric Railway “Express A” and get off at Yudanaka station. Then take the shuttle bus at the station, which takes around 25 minutes to reach.
Oyu Onsen Ski Resort (Niigata)
Located closely to inns and accommodations at Oyu Onsen hot spring resort, the spot is very popular as skiers and snowboarders can enjoy revitalizing hot spa after the winter sports. The snow is usually of great quality and suitable for winter sports. Here, you can also enjoy the views of Mt. Komagatake, one of the 3 greatest mountains in the Echigo area where the skiing fields are popular too.
- Oyu Onsen Ski Resort (Niigata)
- Address: 258-1, Kamioritate, Uonuma, Niigata
- 220Access: 30-minute bus ride from Koide station (where the JR Joetsu line runs)